Monday, April 27, 2009

Behind Your Eyes

So...I've been told by a lot of people that I should start a blog. I'm honestly not sure what I'll write on here though. I suppose it's just a great place to get your thoughts out. For me, writing is so therapeutic. It's a way to process all the craziness of life. It's a way to pray. It's a way to be still.

As I was creating this blog, I was listening to "Behind Your Eyes" by Jon Foreman. I couldn't help but think how perfect that was. Isn't that the whole purpose of a blog? To let other people see the world from behind your eyes? To let them know what your fears are and how incredibly human you are? To experience that sense of connectedness with someone else, knowing that at least one other person in the world has felt the exact same way you do?

I love that feeling. That I'm not alone...it's pretty great.

At the this time in my life, I have only 2 weeks left in my freshman year of college. Actually, I guess technically I only have 10 days left. It's the most bizarre feeling in the world. I can remember being in 3rd grade, playing "College" with my Barbies...I was a dork. Haha. But I remember thinking how grown up I would feel and how mature I would be when I was in college. Yet here I am, a fourth of the way done, and I've never felt younger. I suppose that's good though. I think I'm realizing how much I don't know and how many things I haven't experienced. I am SO young and have SO much life still to live. 18 used to sound like an adult, but being a month away from 19...I'm not so sure.

It's definitely different than I expected. College, I mean. Maybe I was expecting the most glamorous possible version of it, but it's been hard for me. Being away from home was harder than I expected and not having the initial security of the friendships I grew up with was weird. I think that word sums it all up: weird. I've lived in the same city my whole life and many of the friendships I have are based off of years growing up together. It was so strange being thrown into a whole new world (cue the Aladdin soundtrack) with none of the securities from home.

I suppose that's life though...growing up. Being uncomfortable. Maturing because of it. I'm in that growing phase for sure. But that's a blog for another time...

No comments:

Post a Comment