Saturday, May 22, 2010

Kids Say the Darndest Things

I found a nannying job for the summer (Praise the Lord!) and have been doing that everyday this past week. Although it's completely exhausting, there are little moments throughout the days that I can't help but smile. I babysit two kids, Chloe who is 4 and her little brother Kian who is 2. Because Chloe has preschool, swimming lessons, and ice skating, I spend most of my time with Kian. He is an absolute doll. I'll try to post a picture soon :) He has this big beautiful green eyes and dark hair, and makes an angel face when he does something wrong. He keeps me laughing all day long, and I wanted to share a few things he said ;)

(While playing trucks...)
Me: Wow Kian, you're really big and strong!
Kian: Thanks. You're pretty big and strong too, I guess

Me: What's your favorite thing to eat?
Kian: Dinner

He loves it when I make an elephant noise and wave my arm in the air like a trunk, so he always says "Do it again!" which actually sounds like "Duit aain"

We found a snail the other day (which we spent 45 minutes looking at...he was fascinated) and this was just part of our conversation
Me: Look how slimy it is
Kian: Why is it like that?
Me: I don't know. God just made it that way
Kian (pauses) I'm glad God didn't make me that way!

Yesterday, he asked me--completely randomly--what Thanksgiving was about. I told him the whole long story about the pilgrims and Indians, trying to make it simple. When I was done, his only response was: "And it's about pumpkins!" :)

I've only babysat Kian for a week, but I already just love him. It's interesting babysitting after South Africa, though. Oddly enough, it's strange to be with white kids. The other day, Kian was doing something he shouldn't and I said "CHA!" which means "no" in Zulu. Obviously though, Kian doesn't speak Zulu so he just kinda looked at me like I was crazy. It's also hard for me when they don't finish their food. Which is very normal for any kid in our society to not want to finish eating. It's not some fault of theirs. But it's kind of surreal throwing away 3/4 of a sandwich when I remember little Nakona, being malnourished most of her life, would eat every last crumb of her food and then cry when it was gone, out of fear that she might not eat again. It's just a very different world.

It's good though. I am thoroughly enjoying these two precious children and God is providing much needed energy every day :)

2 comments: